Rendang Padang is a very famous dish from Indonesia, from Minang, Padang, West Sumatra. It has even been named one of the best food in the world by CNN. Have you ever tried it? You miss it if you never taste rendang. It is spicy, well depend on how many chilies you are using it, tasty.
Rendang is a ketogenic food. It doesn’t have sugar in the recipe and it has lots of fat, since using meat and coconut milk a lot. Well, some people put a little bit of sugar in it, to make tastier. But according to my Minang’s friend, given a lot of coconut milk makes the rendang is pretty sweet. So there’s no point in adding sugar. Minang cuisine never uses brown sugar except for snacks such as compote. Besides beef meat, you also can use beef liver or a different part of beef meat. Even egg or chicken. It needs many hours to cook rendang until dry and has a dark color. This is what rendang should be, dark and dry.
After read several recipes, I began to learn how to make rendang by asking questions from friends who were come from Minang and then tried it myself. After a few tries, I turned out to prefer to use good rendang meat and cook it with simple spices. One of the spices that are hard to found id turmeric leaves. The solution is to look for turmeric leaves in seasoning on the market. Alternatively try planting turmeric at home, so that every time you need to have stock. Turmeric leaves give the special flavor, but not the taste actually. So, don’t worry if you can’t find it. You can put turmeric in it. Apparently then there is another recipe that says that adding turmeric will only make the hard rendang black in color.
Although the rendang seasoning that I use is a simple spice, it tastes pretty good. You can compare it to those rendang that is sold in Padang stalls. What you need to do it now, read and go to grocery shopping. Try to cook it. It’s yummy. You can just eat it with avocado. The whole family will applause to you.
Here is the recipe. Try to use good quality rendang meat to make it taste great
- 500 g of rendang meat
- 2 whole coconut, grate it, or process it, take the thick coconut milk first, then take the thin coconut milk
- cooking oil to saute
- 20 red curly chili,
- 22 shallots
- 12 cloves of garlic
- 3 cm young galangal, grated
- 2 turmeric leaves
- 5 orange leaves, remove the leaf bone
- 2 lemongrass sticks, take the white part, bruise it salt to taste
How to make:
- First, the meat is washed clean and then cut in cubes, about 3 cm x 2 cm.
- Put shallots and garlic in grinder, process it until become pasta. Put aside.
- Process the chili. Put aside.
- Saute the mashed onion with a little cooking oil clear, then add the chili in, stir until cooked, then add pasta garlic.
- After the garlic smells good,add also grater galangal.
- Stir and cook until all ingredients are cooked. Add the meat, stir until it changes color
- Add light coconut milk, lemongrass, orange leaves, turmeric leaves, and salt.
- Just keep cooking over low heat until the coconut milk is boil. Let them sit.
- Pour the thick coconut milk and cook again until the coconut milk dries while stirring occasionally.