Being low carb eater doesn’t mean you cannot eat your past favorite food. For us that adult, it is easier to avoid several foods that are not ketogenic. But for young people and children, sometimes they miss some sweet when they see their friends eat some treats. I made low carb Belgian Waffles from coconut flour for my kids. They were invited from a sleepover in their friend and they eat some waffles there. I didn’t give full restriction when they are in someone house, for not to make the host busy and confusing. But at home, I always made low carb food for them. You can choose the topping, as you like. Berries, cream, yogurt or low carb peanut butter, and combine it with the waffles.
Coconut flour is very healthy because it contains fewer carbohydrates than other flours and is 100% gluten-free. I love using coconut flour in my recipes, for this reason, I will share this delicious and simple recipe for healthy waffles.
If you are not a coconut fan, try almond flour, which provides another low carb option, with 2 teaspoons of pure gram carbohydrate per 2 grams. Unlike coconut flour, there is no recommended ratio for almond flour to change the wheat flour, so you may need to play with your recipe or use one already installed.
Almond flour makes a condensed pancake, so flush them to add an extra egg You also can add some cinnamon, nutmeg to get more flavor. Add some berries, ketogenic ice cream or low carb peanut butter, to get the taste similar to the common waffles.
- 3 eggs lightly mixed
- Sweetener to taste • 2 tbsp. VCO
- 1/2 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/4 tsp. Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. Baking soda
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2-3/4 cup Coconut milk
- *Oil for brushing the waffle iron/maker
- Mix eggs, then add sweetener (read notes), and coconut oil, mix well then add coconut flour, following baking powder, baking soda, a pinch of salt, stir and add the milk last. You might want to add more if it’s too thick.
- Combine everything well, until the texture is smooth. The batter will be thicker than traditional waffles, but not far off.
- Preheat the waffle maker, brush oil on the waffle iron and scoop the batter in and pour over the waffle iron. Close the lid and wait until it is ready to open.
- Once the waffle is done, be careful when you remove it. The texture of the waffles with coconut flour is different so they rip easily. Carefully start from one corner and remove at ones.